Tuesday, June 14

They Can't Do This Without Me

When they try to do this without me see what happens?


This was my afternoon surprise yesterday.
As a result I have a chubby hand and my knuckles are blue.
I don't even know where to begin.

See that board across the trough? 
That board is there to keep these things from happening because..and I know this may sound crazytown..the calves WILL stand in the feed trough.  Don't think for one second that the board is doing more harm than good.  If it wasn't there the same thing would happen..only there would be three calves in it. 
I try not to figure out their thought process because it is much too complex.  I mean I can count on one hand the number of times I have had the urge to stand on the dinner table while I'm eating. 


I came back from lunch and just happened to walk by the barn and heard this terrible beating and banging..ah geeze.  Ooooh wait quick pic...ok got it.
I walked over..did the whole "now was this a good idea?" thing..and tried to devise a rescue plan.  The board was NOT coming off so I thought I would grab her head and at least try to work her out from top to bottom.  Greatest.Idea.Ever.
As soon as I reached down to grab her head she threw it back and caught my hand between it and the trough.
OW...owowowowowowowowowowowowow...
Just breathe..it will stop..it's not stopping..I feel sick..ow..walk it off..I can feel my heart in it...breathe...
It didn't stop hurting so I walked over and flipped the trough so that the calf was wearing it turtle-style.
Take that.
Tipped it halfway back and worked her out.
Hero.
As soon as she stood up she turned and gave me that "don't just stand there, clean up that feed you spilled" look.  Sigh.

I don't know what they would do without me.
It would be a zoo..there would be calves everywhere stuck in both water and feed troughs, and the ones who weren't would have a bucket stuck on their head! 
I walked around the corner of the calving barn last week and surprised a calf who was just standing there minding her own business, and what did she do?  She jumped into the water trough...back legs sticking out and everything.
I guess she was going to swim to safety.

Don't even get me started on the cows. 
I'll never forget the morning I got to work and discovered that the 2ft gate we had in an entryway was missing.  I really didn't think much about it because it was more or less propped up and just thought someone had used it someplace else.  
Then I saw her.
Trying to stick her head through the head-locks to eat with a 2ft gate stuck around her neck.
I stood there and watched as she had obviously just accepted the fact that that was the way life was going to be from now on.  
You should have seen us trying to get that thing off.  
Not enough butter in the world.

I know I was gonna post the "Second Key to Working on a Farm" today but I'll do that tomorrow.  Plus I just now got a phone call and the heifers are out in the cornfield. 

I bet Eddie didn't shut the gate.cha ching!




1 comment:

Lay it on me..