Wednesday, April 11

The Post Where I Compared My Dad to Van Halen



Tap, tap tap....
Testing...is this thing on?
Um, hey...it's Rachael..you know the "CowLady"?

Yeah, it's been a while.
What?
Oh, Edna...yes she has seen better days, maybe during the Cold War.

It's been so long since we have spoken!

So much has happened...like...stuff.
OK, not really.
But we did start chopping on Monday!
(I'm not really excited about that...please read that sarcastically.)

On one hand I am actually excited about filling the trench silo with nutrient-rich green feed for my cows.
On the left hand(because Edna takes better care of that one), I am super bummed about being stuck in the pit pushing and packing silage.
Dread like the dentist, dread.
Heavy stuff.

You know what I don't get?  (And I fall for it every time..)
I don't get why people, after they find out I am a farmer, enjoy telling me how much they "love to get on tractors", and "do farm work".
'Cuz they don't.

If I had a nickel for every person who has told me that, combined with all of the "calf feeders" out there...I would have a bunch of nickels...
Like .5 times infinity.

During this time of year BossMan gets waaaaay pumped up.
I'm talking Van Halen before a concert, pumped.
So pumped that he breathes chopping and planting corn.
Thinks about it 24/7.
You get the picture.

It is during this season that I sink back into my shell, hoping to go unnoticed.
Notsomuch.

When I'm not feeding cows/calves, treating cows, breeding cows, pulling calves, speaking spanglish really bad, I AM on the tractor pushing up silage OR in the dump truck trying not to kill anyone hauling silage.
I go from one immediatelytotheother.
...and mumble under my breath.

At the end of the day I am not in a good place.
Happiness is at the beach and I am doing my best to take everyone else's happiness from them.
It's about survival...and hand lotion.
These are just the facts.

Today, we should finish chopping and filling the first pit...Hallelujah.
When we are finished, we will move all of the equipment across the farm to the rest of the rye and begin again.
Woot.

I'm just not a tractor driver....I can't help it.
I would rather walk in fire.
But I DO like to feed my cows, and I DO want them to have high quality forage.
Oh the things I do for them....

Oh, I almost forgot!
On your way out today..you know, to drive the tractor...come in the back way.
Why?
Because you will see this....


The canola is in full bloom...


So pretty! I blogged about it last year here.


This is the spot where my sister Malinda got married.


But you may wanna pop an allergy pill first.


Love and sneezes,
TractorDrivinCowLady

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lay it on me..