Monday, May 23

Pulling Calves and Baking Rolls...It's What I Do

It's almost 7am and I am already sweaty(sigh)...this should be a good day.

But for real I can handle the heat..it's the cold that gets me.

I arrived at work this morning at my normal 5:50-time and headed to feed calves..I WishWishWish you could see what I go through every.single.morning. with my blind dog.  There are not enough sighs and mental eyerolls to describe it.  But I'll save that for another time. 

On my way to the babies I noticed that I had not one, but two cows calving..this is nothing new happens daily..HOWEVER, one of them was doing waaaayyy more talking(mooing) than pushing.  Problem.

Seeing as she is a 6-year old, who is no stranger to the birthing process, I decided to continue feeding babies and keep my eye on her.

6:20...still NO baby..she wants to stand around and moo.  Ugh.  Nevermind that there are two feet sticking out plain as day..she would rather tell everyone about her trials and tribulations.

It's not like she is a first-time mother here..the calf can't possibly be that big because I bred her...if she would just LAY DOWN she could give birth to a Mini Cooper for goodness sakes.

So I rolled up my sleeves, got her in the barn, grabbed my puller and pulled the baby girl(hoooray!) out. 

5 minutes. Done. 

There are few things I could do that would make me feel more accomplished that when I pull a calf and look at their goooey little faces and watch their eyes kinda roll around when they blink.  This is also the point when I thank the Good Lord that humans don't have to lick their children off.

Whew!  Now that's a relief!

Oh..but before I head back out to check on the other momma calving I just want to share a couple of things...
                                

My nephew Jackson was dedicated at church yesterday!!!  Aren't they such a beautiful family!


And I have found a new recipe site for ideas..well it's new to me anyway..www.kingarthurflour.com..SO many good ideas like these yeast rolls that I made on Saturday!

I changed it a bit(story of my life) and mixed half a can of Dulce de Leche combined with a little sweetened condensed milk, coconut extract and cornstarch..cooked that until it thickened..poured the mixture over the unbaked rolls..baked them and sprinkled sea salt on top. 

Doesn't that just make you sigh?  Sweet.Yeast.Rolls.  Heaven!

I combined the other half of the Dulce de Leche with a package of cream cheese and melted cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips last night, and used it as the frosting for my buttermilk brownies.

Sigh.

Okay I gotta go check on my newborns:).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lay it on me..