Monday, May 9

Satisfaction Guaranteed

I don't know that I could possibly have a more satisfying job.  At the end of each day I am so tired, smelly and OVER it that I can't help but pass out at night.  If I get into bed and actually have to think about sleeping..something is wrong.

There are a couple of things on my mind this morning.  The first of which is the new baby that graced us with its(I haven't checked gender) presence in the wee hours of the morning. I LOVE LOVE LOVE coming to work and looking across the road at my mommas-to-be and seeing a mini version of them running around, healthy as can be. 

There are, however, those other mornings which I also must deal with.  You know the ones.  They make you say "really?" out loud.  Those mornings consist of anything from a cow walking around with a calf sticking halfway out, "missing" babies and mamacita.

Mamacita is super-mom.  When she is in my dry cow lot..close to calving..anything that hits the ground is HERS. And she will fight you for it.  She is a big ol' 7-year old Holstein baby thief.  That's right.  Thievin hussy.  I have seen her claim Jersey calves, go stand between a momma and her baby and call a newborn from across the field..trying to woo it with her mommaish ways. I'm onto her trickery. 

This was not her baby and I am hoping to relocate the pair before mamacita discovers the addition.  She isn't due til June..and I justcan'twait.

One disadvantage to having my dry cow lot next to the road is that I am forced to meet new jackwagons.  Never fails..if I am going to have a calf it WILL be born next to the road and someone-who obviously knows more than me-WILL stop and tell me about it.  LikeIcan'tSEE!

Jackwagon: "Hey I was just gonna let you know that you have a baby COW in this field."
Me: (sigh, mental eyeroll, sigh) "Ok thanks." (Short, sweet, and NICE).
Jackwagon:  "Are you gonna do something about it?"
Me:  (pause..sigh..obvious eyeroll)  "Well seeing as this has never happened before..what do YOU think I should DO?"
Then they roll their window up and drive off.
I don't like meeting new people.

OK now to the second thing on my mind...I make some MEAN muffins and I wanna share the recipe.  This is an adaptation(lots of trying and failing) of basically every muffin recipe I have ever read.  Oh! And they are HEALTHY!  That got you. 

I like bread and if I can make a "healthier" version..that is edible..I like sharing it.  (If you don't like it then you probably made it wrong...kidding..but I don't wanna hear about it.) 

A Healthier Muffin

Dry Ingredients:
1 3/4 Cups White Whole Wheat Flour (I used King Arthur..same benefits as whole wheat flour just a different type of wheat).
2 Tsp  Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
3/4 Cup Turbinado Sugar(you can use any type of sugar..I like Turbinado because it has not undergone the extensive refining process like granulated).
1/2 Tsp. Cinnamon
1 Tsp Ginger(you can grate fresh or use dried..I used dried).
Pinch of Seal Salt
Pinch of Ground Cloves

Wet Ingredients:
1 Large Egg
1/3 Cup Skim Milk (can use whole, Buttermilk, Goats milk..doesn't matta).
1/4 Cup Oil (I used vegetable oil).
8 oz. Plain Greek Yogurt

Chop(1/4 inch) basically ANY kind of seasonal fruit and add to muffins!  I used 1 Peach  but you can use strawberries, mango, apple, nectarines, cherries..anything!  But try not to add more than 1 cup chopped.
I also added a handful of dried cranberries and pecan pieces(try raisins, dried blueberries...etc..)
Shredded coconut(optional)

Oven to 350 degrees.
Grease(or line) a 12-cup muffin tin.
Mix together dry ingredients and make a well in center.
Mix together wet ingredients(in separate bowl, silly).
Add the wet to the dry and mix..JUST until the dry ingredients are moistened!!
DO NOT over mix!! LUMPS are OK!
Fold in fruit and nuts.
Fill muffin cups(should be enough for 12
Top with shredded coconut if you want..I think it adds a lil somethin somethin.
Bake on center rack in oven for 15 minutes.(Check at 12 and continue cooking until toothpick inserted comes out dry-ish..not bone-dry.)
Cool in pan for a couple minutes then put on wire rack to cool completely.

I manage to eat on mine for about a week by putting them in a storage bag in the refrigerator.  I leave the bag open so that they are less likely to mold as fast.

I think I remember everything I did correctly...soemtimes things slip my mind..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lay it on me..