Saturday, February 23

Braggy-Braggerson

I don't know what it's like to be an only child.

Times infinity.

I have heard from some that it's lonely(Glenn) and some who even seem fairly indifferent on the subject(Chuck). 
Personally, I was never given the option.


I mean, what would I have done without someone to cheat me in hide-and-seek?
Someone to walk me to Kindergarten and first grade? (I was cut-off after that).

I had a whole OTHER closet besides mine to rummage through...like my own department store when she wasn't home.

Who would I have done the exact opposite of???
I could have been the "Golden Child"!!!
-Or a reason to stop altogether (seems more likely).

But I was born second.
And all the difference it has made.

Instead of idolizing characters in books, I had a flesh-and-blood idol living one door down from my room.
So what if her door was locked, the credit card trick always worked:).

 I would go in, lay on her bed or floor and we would talk about nothing and everything.
About friends, people at school or about what our "big plan" was.
I had no idea at the time, but she was it.

My mentor, counselor, tutor, fashion adviser and idol all wrapped up in one lovely package.
She taught me how to expect the unexpected, by always beating me to punch when it came to choosing the easier chores at the barn.

She provided the first ever "You're wearing THAT?!" uttered my way.

She advised me on how to be a good friend, and listener by always being honest when I needed advice.

I credit her with my "try harder" attitude, because she is the hardest working, most intelligent person I know.

When people ask about my older sister I'm certain I become all braggy-braggerson when I'm all like, Oh, Malinda?  Well, after college she went to grad school in reproductive physiology, then on to medical school and residency at Mayo, now she is a Neonatology Fellow at Mayo.
Um yeah, she's kind of a big deal.

And she is.

Besides her academic accomplishments, she is married to her best friend who was by her side through it all, and they have a 2 year-old who absolutely hung the moon!


Yeah, I'm totally bowing my chest out a little now, because she is my big sister.
I'm the lucky one, and I know it.
She was my first best friend, and not one single thing could ever come to close to the bond we have.

Malinda, you are as much a part of me as my heart and I wish you a very Happy Birthday:).

 
Thank you for just being you.

Love,
Bebe







No comments:

Post a Comment

Lay it on me..